Here we are at the start of a new year and our Staff at Lindemann Chimney Supply want to wish you a safe and successful one. What worked for your chimney sweeping or hearth business last year? Do you need to do something better next year? Here are some brief and to the point ideas for today's ever changing world.
- You are more visible than ever before because of the internet (Facebook, Twitter, webpages, Angie's List, etc). Address problems immediately and be careful what you post on the net.
- Persistence pays off. Don't give up on your dreams and turn mistakes into lessons.
- Make sure you are available to your employees and that they feel comfortable talking to you even if they don't agree.
- Empower your employees to make good decisions.
- Play fair and keep competition in perspective.
- Know when to say no. Some jobs just aren't worth the risk.
- Carve out time to strengthen your skills and further your education.
- Prepare your employees and your business for change. Be proactive.
- Success takes hard work. If it were easy everyone would be successful.
- Sometimes you have to cut your losses. Consider it a unique opportunity to figure out what went wrong to avoid similar future situations.
- Pick your "heros" wisely. Who influences you? What's their track record. Does it make sense to follow their lead?
- How often are you on the "front-line"? Are you connected to these employees? Do you miss important information from standing on the sidelines?
- Hire wisely. Attitude is hard to change but aptitude is easier to train.
- Self-motivated employees will save you energy.
- Celebrate your company's accomplishments! Recognize the exhilaration that comes from having achieved a tough goal.
- Diversity of opinions opens up new opportunities for your company. Welcome and recognize employee suggestions.
- Market your strengths. Your company is unique to your competitors.
- Address issues without emotion to avoid conflict and the drama.
- Strive to be the person you want your employees to emulate.
These important points will help you to implement a lasting legacy for your business. As a company owner, you must always be vigilant and open to changes. As a role model your employees look up to you for an example and for guidance.
Posted by Rob Lindemann